Thursday, March 28, 2013

Here to Stay?


Can I have a show of hands? Who reading this does not use the internet? Dumb question I know.  Not necessarily. So, why do some people say that the internet is dying?  It is because we have become, in the last couple of years, so consumed with the idea of apps that it has almost drawn us away from the actual "internet." I can hear some of you right now asking this question. Doesn't using apps mean we are using the internet? No, not necessarily. Using an app just means you are using 3G or a wireless signal. Apps seem to have taken over the world. That should not come as a surprise to anyone with the popularity of the IPhone.

The IPhone is one of those things that people think, "How did we live without this device?" Society thought the same thing when the microwave was invented and bread started to come pre-sliced. We always wonder how we made it without certain items. The truth is we made it because we had no idea of the possibilities out there. I rarely see someone without an IPhone. Some may call the device the "it" thing and let's face it; it is. The reason being is because it is a spectacular tool. Everything that one could want, not necessarily need, is at the tip of their fingers (literally). The IPhone is full of apps (applications) that are specifically chosen by you and fit your interests. The IPhone is not the only thing that contains apps, but there is also the IPad, Kindle, Nook and even more.

All of this talk about the apps that seem to consume our universe sends me back to my previous question. Is the "traditional" form of internet dying? Does anyone even actually get on a computer anymore and get on the internet? Does anyone Google? Honestly, I cannot even believe that this question is being raised. I use the internet on a daily basis. My office has a computer just as yours does. I still use Google when I need to look up information pertaining to a certain subject. I love my IPhone, do not get me wrong, but I couldn't live off of that. It is not practical, for me at least. Am I writing this blog using an app, through my IPhone or an IPad? No, I am typing on a traditional computer. It is the most logical thing in the world for me to get on my computer and type out my thoughts (or in this case my homework assignment) :).

         As you think about how the use of apps has transformed the internet, let us think about how they both have transformed television viewing. Do you still use a television? I know I do. I cannot imagine not having a television in my home. I consider myself not exactly with the times, as I know it is popular for people my age (I am 24...25 on Saturday!) to use Hulu and Netflix and things of this nature. To say I'm an old soul would hit the nail right on the head. I prefer listening to my music on the record player that I got for Christmas. I love going home and curling up on my couch and watching my favorite shows on television. I do have a DVR, which is somewhat of a new thing, just so I can record my soap that airs while I'm at work. I'm thankful for that little bit of technology! The internet has taken something away from the traditional form of television, but I do not think it will ever completely take the entire audience. There will always be the little kid that wants to sit cross-legged on the floor watching cartoons on Nick Jr. or the middle-aged man who can't miss a rerun of Bonanza on TV Land. Television, without Hulu and Netflix, is something that will always be there. There is no need for internet to enjoy the simple pleasures in life.

The new technology wave, even for me, is something I almost feel that I need to catch up to. I enjoy the traditional aspect of things and some of the new technology I just do not think I need to have. I have a laptop that I use for school and play purposes. Just a couple of years ago if you didn't have a laptop you were not "with it." Now, if you don't have an IPad you are most definitely NOT. Well...I do not have an IPad. I do not feel the need for one. I have an IPhone, which is, more or less, the portable version of my laptop and then I have my laptop. That is all the technology I feel I need for myself.

So, with new technology taking away from some part of another technology is it possible for something to completely wipe out another product? There is a chance, but I do not think the television, the computer, nor will the traditional internet ever die. These are staples in our culture and I just cannot see them going anywhere. Sure, there will be improvements down the line, but I cannot see how they can make a television any slimmer than it already is. For example, how many things have improved in the kitchen area over time? There have been inventions of toasters, toaster ovens, blenders, mini-choppers, etc... With all of these inventions there has not been one thing that has taken the stove out of our kitchens. Can you actually imagine your life without a stove? The answer is simply, no. The same thing goes for the television and the computer. Can you actually imagine your life, as it is, without one of these things? Good, me neither.  The evolution of technology will continue to change and we are powerless to stop it.  All we can do is sit back and wait for the new invention of our time to hit us.  With all of the new technology that will be invented, there are some items that will never go away.  The computer, internet and the television are three staples and they are here to stay in our world no matter where technology goes.

 

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts, Maggie. I can see where companies have leveraged their brand appeal to create "closed" apps that don't rely on a web browser to work. Control seems to be the name of the game with making money and reinforcing brand loyalty. And I think it is foolish for someone or a company to rely on Facebook as their only web real estate. What happens when Facebook comes back and pulls the rug out from under their feet? Having one's own website is the best way to preserve continuity and enjoy full control over content.

    ReplyDelete